Here’s a quick and easy recipe for a healthy accompaniment. It is low in calories and high in fibre and prebiotics. It is free from dairy, soy, egg, nuts, wheat, gluten and fish. Well basically everything! And it is thrifty because you can use up vegetables that would otherwise have been wasted.
Prep: 10 minutes
Ingredients (all very approximate and can be altered with what you have in the fridge)
- 1/2 white cabbage, chopped into chunks or sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 2 handfuls of radishes, sliced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds – optional (this could be any seeds or nuts, depending on what you have and can tolerate – poppy seeds or walnuts are very nice!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Combine everything in a plastic container. If you use one with a lid it’s ready for storage straight away.
- Store in the fridge
- Give it a mix before you serve as the oil and vinegar sink to the bottom. It goes well as an accompaniment to any meal. I like it in a sandwich.
Told you it was easy! And you hardly have any washing up. This would be good to make on a Sunday evening for grown- up packed lunches as it keeps well for a few days in the fridge.